June 27, 2010

When I Look Into My Looking Glass




When I was a little girl, I took dance class. Just for one year, when I was 4. I'm not sure if taking dance was my idea, or my mother's. Probably my mother's. Anyway, we have a video of my recital. My mom used to love to show it to anyone who came to the house, babysitters, friends, even boyfriends when I was a teenager. And I used to be embarrassed by it, but now, being a mother myself, I see how adorable it is.

I was wearing a little silver leotard, a sequined skirt, all with purple feathery trim. I even had some of those purple feathers in my hair. We were doing a little dance with a hand mirror, supposed to be moving it around. Instead, I decided that it would be a good time to just look at myself in the mirror. Not dance. Make faces at myself. Who cares if there are a couple hundred people watching, right? I did some of the moves, but I kept getting distracted by that mirror.

Well, today I got to watch my daughter Bethany perform in front of a group for the first time. It was a simple song, the older kids were waving flags in a pattern, and the younger kids had hoops with gold streamers to wave back and forth above their heads. About ten seconds into the song, Bethany noticed her streamers were a little tangled. So she stops waving her hoop, trying to untangle them. For over half of the song. She finally started waving it again, and did a great job. I so proud of her, and I'm sure if I had it on video (crazy morning and forgot to grab my camera!), that I would want to show it to everyone.

I couldn't help but think of myself, at just about her age, at my dance recital. Not caring that people were watching. Not caring what people thought of me. Just looking at a reflection.

1 comment:

  1. Thats so sweet. she just wanted to make sure her hoop was perfect.

    ReplyDelete